Friday, February 13, 2009

LibraryThing v. GoodReads

I thought it was time for a good old fashioned showdown. LT and GR are going head to head right here, right now.Each has things I like and things I don't like.

LibraryThing Pros and Cons
+ I get to create all the tags I use to 'catalog' my books
+ I get to chose the cover (I like the covers to match the edition of the book I read/own)
+I get to organize my library in many different ways (author, title, year, however I want)
-Add books is a separate screen
-the social networking aspect of LT seems clunky
-LT allows you to add 200 books for free then wants a membership fee to add more

GoodReads Pros and Cons
+ easy to see what friends are reading, and to add their books to my list
+really easy to add books
+ GR is free
+ GR hav a trivia game
-has set 'shelves' and it seems like a lot of work to add new ones
-there does not seem to be a way to choose book covers
-there does not seem to be a way to choose how books are organized

To be fair I have not spent a lot of time messing around with finding friends on LibraryThing. I like these sights more for their ability to keep track of the books I want to read, have read, didn't finish, etc. and less for the social-ness of them.

I imported all my books from LibraryThing to GoodReads so instead of adding them one at a time, I had none then over 2,000. Some arrived at GR as books I have never heard of, I am still trying to go through list to delete the ones I do not want.

No comments: